Monday, April 5, 2010

Virginia Scotchie

I'm not sure if anyone knows this, but I transferred to Rutgers from The University of South Carolina, and I used to be a design major. As such, randomly most of my friends ended up being ceramic majors and artists. From being an honorary "mud person" I got the privledge of being around some amazing talent.

Even though in my opinion the rest of the art department at USC is just rediculously useless, the Ceramics and 3-D departments are extraordinary. The students that are majors, or not even majors, like myself are taught and influenced by so many amazing artists, the most primary being Virginia Scotchie, who is the head of the department. Her work is some of the most amazing I have ever seen, and her technique was just mind blowing. To be able to watch her do demonstrations in her classes was pretty amazing for me.


She is most known for her objects which are abstract and easily recognizable to any person who has ever seen any of her work. In NCECA, she did have many cups, plates, and bowls for sale, and unfortunately I was too late to see any display of her new objects.


What I did see I will upload a pictures of and also, you guys should check out this
YouTube Video about how she forms her famous spheres.

No comments:

Post a Comment